The Wand Position

The Wand Position
Often Used for Magic

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

What Works For Me

Consider for a moment - what are your options? You can go forward in life expecting the worst and preparing yourself for it so that life will not disappoint you.

It is a way you see, when you expect the worst, it is a way to reassure yourself that you are right. It is also a way to reassure yourself that you cannot be disappointed as you have in the past.

I am not here to lecture you, for I was raised by people who were loving but also frightened because of having to scrimp to get by. Unconsciously, though with the best of intentions, they passed on some of that fear and anxiety to me - not so much by what they said because they tried their utmost to be good parents and for the most part they were but by what they did and felt.

I have found that my life has improved significantly not by expecting and counting on only benevolent things to happen but rather by being open to benevolent things happening. In short - things could get better.

This is a simple and perhaps even seems simplistic statement. I do have it taped somewhere near where I work not because I experience life as such a drudge but rather to remind me for those moments when I feel - oh life, such a struggle - we all know that one eh. I have found such a great comfort when my eyes happen to glance in the direction of - things could get better.

I have found then just being open to being optimistic is helpful. It even changes the way I feel and I grant that being optimistic does not mean that I am always right but then being pessimistic does not mean that anyone is always right either. I'd rather be open to optimism included in my life and pass it on wherever possible in a practical, down to Earth and realistic way.

I'm not trying to say what you should do. I'm just passing on what works for me in the best way I know how.

Goodlife.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I see your point here.
I appreciate knowing that I am not alone with my thoughts and experiences on this planet. And the phrase about it can always get better is nice. You are right - it can.

Robert Shapiro said...

Thank you for your comment Steve. I find putting a post-it with that written down on it near my computer is very helpful. I recommend it.
Goodlife my friend.